Your support makes concerts like this possible.
Need help watching online?
View the Video FAQs
André Bloch (1873–1960)Denneriana for Clarinet and Piano
Max Bruch (1838–1920)Eight Pieces for Clarinet, Viola, and Piano, Op. 83 (selections)
II. Allegro con moto
IV. Allegro agitato
V. Rumänische Melodie: Andante
VI. Nachtgesang: Andante con moto
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–1791)Trio in E-flat Major for Piano, Clarinet, and Viola (“Kegelstatt”), K. 498
Our Tucson Series brings you the best professional musicians living in Southern Arizona. As an added benefit the concerts are filmed on location locally, supporting the community as well as the musicians.
Here, we have a dynamic young trio on piano, viola, and clarinet with a romantic program recorded live at the San Pedro Chapel in Tucson, an uplifting space filled with the hopefulness of happy occasions. The concert is free and requires no registration or password.
Pianist Fanya Lin has collaborated with world-class chamber musicians and in 2019 joined the faculty of the University of Arizona. Clarinetist Jackie Glazier is also an Assistant Professor of Music at UA and is principal clarinet of True Concord and regularly performs with various symphonies. Ivan Ugorich playing the viola works for UA and has performed around the globe.
One of the earliest chamber works written for clarinet is Mozart’s “Kegelstatt” trio. “Kegelstatt” refers to a place where skittles are played, a lawn game akin to bowling. According to an early anecdote, Mozart wrote this composition while playing skittles with the family of one of his students. The first performance took place at the student’s home with Mozart playing the viola part. Since that time, other composers have been inspired to write for the combination of clarinet, viola, and piano, including Max Bruch, whose work will be heard on this concert. Also on the program is André Bloch’s Denneriana for clarinet and piano, the title a tribute to the creator of the clarinet.
The austere San Pedro Chapel in the historic Ft. Lowell is a tiny sanctuary built originally in 1915 when it served the Barriada del Rillito, a community now called El Fuerte. The 15 immigrant Mexican families of this village gathered under mesquite trees to hear Mass. In 1917, Señora Josefa de Mule donated land for a larger building. The second chapel, Santo Angel de la Guarda, was destroyed by a tornado in 1929. The present structure, also built by the men of El Fuerte, was dedicated in 1932.
Major support provided by:
Additional supporters include: